Take a Tour of an Online Session
Terms of ServiceThe Terms of Service outlines important information about your privacy and safety when using the Department of Defense (DoD) Safe Helpline.
Waiting RoomThe waiting room has lots of recovery tips and resources to review while you wait to begin your online session. You can also access the Safe HelpRoom, a safe, secure, online peer support service.
Safe Helpline Online SessionOnce a trained Safe Helpline staff member is available, click “Go Chat” to begin your online session.
Anonymous FeedbackWhen your online session is complete, you will be asked to complete a feedback survey rating your experience. We value your feedback!
Computer SafetyLearn how we protect your anonymity, and how you can make your own computer safer.
Terms of Service
While you're waiting, you can click on the articles to learn more about sexual assault. A new window will open, and this will not increase your wait time.
When we're ready to start your session, the left side of your screen will change to green. When this happens, please click the “Go Chat” button to start your session.
Your Online Session
You'll notice that we never ask for your name or location. That way, you will remain completely anonymous. We also don't store a transcript of your chat, so no one can view it later.
While you're chatting, a window will open up behind your chat window that allows you to provide feedback at the end of your session, so you can ignore it for now (feel free to minimize it).
To end your session at any time, just click the red “End Chat” button located at the bottom left hand corner of the chat window.
How We Made Safe Helpline Secure and Anonymous
- We do not capture your IP (computer) address once you decide to chat. This means that we will have no record that you were ever here.
- We do not save a transcript of your online session. Once you close your chat window, that text is not retrievable.
- We encrypt all of the data. Every time someone hits "send," the words are encrypted using 128-bit SSL technology. That way, the text cannot be intercepted and read while in transit. This is the same level of security that banks generally use to handle transactions.
- We built Safe Helpline using special anonymous routing methods that obscure the connection between you and our staff via the use of unique codes.
- While RAINN operates the Safe Helpline under contract from the Department of Defense (DoD), we will not share any personally identifiable information about your visit with the Department or your chain of command, unless required by law. To learn more, visit the Terms of Service Full Text of Agreements "How We May Share Information" section.